It takes a lot to build a business. Your motivation is an important part of the equation. Being motivated 100 percent of the time is not a realistic expectation, but there are strategies for staying consistently motivated to achieve explosive growth in your business.
How does an entrepreneur maintain focus on the business while also staying motivated to become a better person and business leader?
- Set a personal mission statement – It is primarily used to set the direction of a business to motivate yourself. Every entrepreneur should set his or her own personal mission statement. It should serve as a constant reminder about your purpose for becoming an entrepreneur.
- Make a plan – A mission statement is useless without a plan to execute on it. You too should develop and write down your personal and professional plan, including short term and long term goals. The purpose here is to have a clear understanding of what you want to accomplish personally and how you will achieve it.
- Start with a routine – You should start every day with a great morning routine, which will help your mind and body to be alert, focused and prepared to create new habits. As part of your routine every morning, you should spend time reviewing and refining your plan.
- Set time for yourself – Entrepreneurs can often get completely caught up in their business, it is important to set personal time during the day for yourself. Leverage this time to eat properly and drink water, two crucial habits that will go a long way to helping you stay focused.
- Plan ahead and set reminders – Even with a plan, it can be difficult to stay in a routine. For this reason, develop a habit of setting reminders throughout the day for the important tasks and daily goals you have set.
- Set rewards – We are naturally wired to react to incentives, so be prepared to reward yourself for accomplishing a goal or maintaining a habit. Just like in business, you should recognise and reward small victories along the way to long-term, broader goals.
- Engage friends – Sometimes the best motivation comes from peer pressure. Engage your friends and colleagues to help motivate you both toward individual and shared goals. Consider mobile apps that make the engagement fun.
- Indulge in inspirational activities – There are times when you just need to look outside your circle for motivation. When this happens, re-match a movie that you found inspiring, listen to inspiring stories of successful entrepreneurs, and refer to inspiring quotes.
- Stay positive – There is no one-size-fits all answer to what makes people happy, with definitions, theories and opinions abound. In a tough time, choose to stay positive in whatever situation that you’re dealing with.
- Sleep – Never underestimate the value of a good night sleep for personal motivation. No unfinished task or missed goal is worth the misery that comes with losing sleep over it. More important, with a fresh night of rest, these tasks and goals become infinitely easier to finish the following day.
The more motivated you are, the more forward-moving momentum you will create and the easier it will be to tackle ambitious goals and reach higher levels of success in your business.