By: Naema Rashid
- 13 February was chosen as World Radio day since 2011
- Proposed by Spanish Radio Academy
- Established by UNESCO
- The day was chosen as it is the anniversary United Nations established the United Nations Radio in 1946.
- To increase awareness on the importance of the radio and strengthen the relationship between radio and listeners.
2012 (The First World Radio Day)
- There was a seminar in London among the academics, practitioners, industry players discussing ways for radio to reach larger audiences while Spain organized public events.
WORLD RADIO DAY THEME
2014 (Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in Radio)
2015 (Youth and Radio)
2016 (Radio in Times of Emergency and Disaster)
2017 (Radio is You)
2018 (Radio and Sports)
2019 (Dialogue, Tolerance, and Peace)
WORLD RADIO DAY CELEBRATION 2020
(Radio and Diversity)
With the theme diversity on radio, emphasizes on the inclusivity of kaleidoscope in both content and practitioners. It is to instill togetherness among the industry player and public surely.